Of the initial 18 eggs, 12 were found to be viable, 3 embryos expired before pipping, 2 worked hard to hatch, but didn’t quite make it with a final hatched chick count of 7.

Variables in incubating are temperature and humidity. I did not use a hydrometer for this hatch. I suspect if I had I may have had a slightly higher hatch count, although we did exceed last year’s count of six.

Watching them hatch, there is an inclination (for me anyway), to want to lend a hand to a struggling hatcher, but it is generally best to leave them be. Their ability to get out of the shell is the indicator of the heartiness of a chick.

Originally: Hatching

This entry was posted in Chickens and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s