Extremely resilient in high-traffic areas, this fast grower is often used on golf courses and athletic fields. While rye requires ample sunlight and fares poorly in drought conditions, its durability, eagerness to germinate and an erosion-busting dense root system make it a good choice under appropriate conditions.
Does best in northern and coastal climates with consistent temperatures and plenty of moisture.
Fares best in well-lit areas, but can benefit from partial shade in high temperatures.
Intolerant to drought and requires frequent watering.
- Grows quickly
- Extremely durable with a dense root system
- Good blending seed for cool weather grasses
- Intolerant of extreme weather conditions
- Does poorly in cool, shaded areas
- Requires frequent watering